Determining a circuit’s condition through resistance measurement will allow us to continue our work with fewer dangers.
For these projects, no other instrument is as capable as the best ohm meter due to its high accuracy, reliable performance, and user-friendly features that are easy to use for anyone.
Top 5 Best Ohm Meter: Editor Recommended
Of course, here we raise the question: Which is the ohm meter you need? To give you a clear and definitive answer, we’ve picked ten of the most effective devices out there designed for these and many other tasks.
During our reviews, we’ll talk about what to expect from these tools, whether or not they’re good, and why it would be a good idea to get one.
Then, we’ll summarize the features to consider before purchasing to ensure you don’t waste your money. Without anything else to add, let’s begin.
The 10 Best Ohm Meter Reviews:
Want to know which ohm meters are worth your money? Let’s take a look!
1. AstroAI Digital Ohm Meter
- VERSATILE DIGITAL MULTIMETER - Accurately measures AC/DC Voltage, DC Current, Resistance, and Diode. This Multimeter is a really useful tool for solving industrial and household electrical issues. Suitable for Household Outlets, Fuses, Batteries (including Vehicles), Automotive Circuit Troubleshooting, Charging System, Testing electronics in Cars etc.
- TROUBLESHOOTING WITH Accuracy - This Multimeter has a sampling speed of 2 times per second; Built-in a backlight LCD display with 3 ½ digits (1999 count) 0.6”, and high polarity including negative and positive readings.
- ENSURES SAFETY - Double ceramic fuse is anti-burn and protects from overloading.The silicone cover is able to protect the multimeter from failing damage and prevent electric shocks. And low battery indication will be displayed when battery power is low.
- EASE OF USE - Support Data Hold, low battery indicator and continuity buzzer. Includes Convenient feature like LCD Backlit Screen makes it easy to use in dimly light areas. Battery / Set of Test Leads / User Manual/ are Included.
- ADDITIONAL TIPS - This Multimeter is designed to troubleshoot a variety of automotive and household electrical problems safely and accurately. It’s a suitable tool if you want to do some household or commercial improvements whether DIYers or Hobbyists. (NOTE: This meter can not test AC Current; Ensure your multimeter is set to the correct setting before testing)
Designed to operate safely and with high accuracy, the Astro AI AM33D can troubleshoot electrical problems in automotive and household appliances. The small size makes it a portable device, and it will measure current, voltage, and resistance, among other things.
Plus, this instrument measures continuity, transistor, and diode testing. As mentioned above, all of these functions are perfect for different applications.
To do that, the device features multiple functions that come in handy. For instance, using the multi meter is as simple as connecting the test leads to the circuit you’re testing.
While doing that, the smart anti-burn and dual fuse system ensure reliable and safe performance. After making the connections, the large digital display shows the measurements with proper visibility.
The sampling rate is also remarkable, offering 2x speed per second to guarantee excellent readings. If you don’t want to miss anything, the data hold function can freeze the screen.
The low battery indicator and the built-in kickstand are some of the other features we enjoyed. Plus, the protective rubber corner guards included can prevent damages if the device falls to the floor.
With the lack of a function to test AC current as of its only disadvantage, this device still manages to outshine the competition.
- Measures AC/DC Voltage, DC Current, Resistance, and more
- Easy to use with an intuitive front panel and straightforward buttons
- Backlit LCD screen shows visible measurement digits
- Includes a built-in kickstand to operate hands-free
- Can’t test AC current
2. Etekcity MSR-R500 Digital Volt Ohm Voltage Meter
- ACCURATELY MEASURES: This multimeter can test AC/DC Voltage, DC current (Not for AC current), Resistance, Diode, Continuity and More. Sampling Speed: 3 times per second
- HANDY TROUBLESHOOTER: Data Hold button holds a reading; large backlit LCD with large digits is easily visible in dimly lit areas; Built-in support stand allows for hand free use; Low battery indication and Continuity buzzer
- SAFETY PROTECTION: The multimeter has overload protection on all ranges and anti-burn with double fuses. Protective rubber sleeve around the multimeter adds extra drop protection
- NOTE: This multimeter cannot be used to test AC current. Please make sure the rotary switch is located at the right range during use
Much like the previous pick, this device is ideal for automotive and maintenance of household appliances. With overload protection and a remarkable LCD screen featuring large, visible digits, using this tool won’t be a problem for anyone.
This device measures continuity, current, voltage, and resistance, among others. It comes with test leads and probes that work efficiently, picking up measurement values quickly. Once detected, the current shows on the backlit LCD display with high accuracy.
After picking up the measurement value, there are multiple functions to help you work with it. For instance, the data hold function locks the values, allowing you to analyze them as much as needed.
The built-in double fuse protects the device, allowing users to work with currents safely. Plus, the foldable stand included is another useful feature, as it maintains the meg ohm meter in a slightly angled position for hand-free usage.
As a downside, replacing the batteries in this tool is a bit frustrating. You’d have to remove four screws to access the battery slots, which isn’t ideal in many cases.
Lastly, the build of this tool has rubber sleeves, which offer outstanding resistance. If the device drops to the ground because you’re in a hurry, the impact most likely won’t cause any damage.
- Accurately tests AC/DC voltage, DC current, Resistance, Continuity, and more
- Comes with data hold functions, a backlit LCD screen, and overload protection
- Features rubber sleeves for improved protection
- Includes a kickstand that allows hands-free use
- Replacing the batteries is a tedious process
3. Crenova MS8233D Ohm Meter Multimeter
- 【100% Safety Assurance】Built-in Double Fuse. Overload Protection on all ranges.
- 【Auto-ranging Tester】Accurately measure AC/DC voltage, AC/DC current, resistance, frequency, continuity, diode, etc.
- 【Backlight Display】 Designed with 3 1/2 digit LCD display and 'Backlight', showing the reading clearly in low light areas.
- 【Special Points】 Data Hold, Maximum Value Hold, Function Switching, Auto Power OFF. Sampling Speed: 3 times per second.
- 【9V Battery】DON'T forget to install the 9V battery before using the digital multimeter, or it will go on strike.
Working on a 9V battery and built-in double fuse, it?s incredible the number of things this device can achieve. It efficiently measures AC/DC voltage, AC/DC current, frequency, diode, resistance, and many more values to deliver optimal and accurate readings.
The device features a 3-1/2-digit LCD screen, which has a backlit function for more visibility. While working in spaces with low light, the meg ohm meter keeps the display illuminated to allow users proper value readings.
Due to its intuitive front panel, even inexperienced users get the hang of this device quickly. The meter has buttons for functions like data hold, as well as a knob to adjust measurements. Even though it’s a handheld tool, the kickstand allows the meter to sit in an angled position.
However, reading the screen at specific angles can be difficult if the backlight is active. This issue, reported by many users, is a bit frustrating but not necessarily a deal breaker for us.
Available with two lead sets, this small-sized multi meter fits easily in any toolbox. Whether you pretend to use it at home, at work, or in other locations, the device’s compact design will allow you to keep it close and be ready for anything.
- Includes two sets of leads for optimal performance
- Small, compact size fits in the toolbox easily
- Included foldable stand allows hands-free use
- Backlit LCD screen provides accurate readings
- Reading the screen at certain angles can be difficult if the backlight is on
4. KAIWEETS Ohm Resistance Meter
- WIDE APPLICATIONS - KAIWEETS HT118A Multimeter measures up to 600V AC/DC voltage, 10A AC/DC current and 60 MOhms resistance, electrical tester also tests temperature, capacitance, frequency, duty-cycle, wire on-off, and test diodes and continuity.
- EASY OPERATION - Switch the dial to the function you need, and the LED lights on the jacks will shine accordingly. To plug in the leads is easy. Autoranging saves you the hassle of having to know which range of value. Large 2.9” LCD backlight display, easy-to-read digits offer a 6000-count resolution.
- MULTI-FUNCTION - Non-contact voltage testing and Live function with sound and light alarm. Flashlight on the back ensures easy use in dimly lit places. Min/Max/Average to record signal fluctuations. Stable kickstand, Pen slot on the back, Low battery prompt, Data retention, Auto power-off.
- SAFETY FIRST - IEC Rated CAT III 1000V, CAT IV 600V, CE, RoHS certified. Anti-Burn with double ceramic fuse and thermistor protection circuit. High Voltage Protection is active on all ranges. Double insulated unit. Silicone protective case prevents it from falling damage.
- AFTERSALES - KAIWEETS provides a 36-Month after-sale service, lifetime technical support. Please feel free to contact us if you have any concerns. Package includes multimeter, test leads, thermocouple, batteries and user manual. ( Note: Please take off the cap before using the leads)
By featuring 6000 counts auto-ranging measurements, this device can do it all. It can test AC/DC voltage, current, frequency, liquid temperature, and battery checking, among many other values. Its advanced technology makes this tool ideal for automotive, industrial, and household applications.
Everything about this device is outstanding. Plugging in the leads is pretty easy, guaranteeing quick, accurate measurements. Plus, the large 2.9-inch LCD display has a dual design that shows an additional bar graphic for better readings.
If the workspace is running out of light, the flashlight on the back ensures users receive enough visibility to continue their operations safely.
Besides ohm testing, this device works as a non-contact voltage tester ideal for live wire checking. When detected, the screen goes red, warning users about the proximity dangers.
Additionally, the digital ohm meter has a low battery indicator, data retention functions, auto power-off, and auto-ranging, among other useful features. The safety measures are also efficient, as there are almost zero risks of accidents caused by high voltage.
Other than a slightly awkward viewing angle, this tool could be the best ohm reader for RDA you may need. The device is affordable, accurate, and covers a wide range of applications from industrial purposes to household appliances tests.
- Large screen with dual display design for optimal readings
- Easy to operate by just switching a dial
- A multi-purpose device that also operates as a non-contact voltage reader
- Comes with sturdy probe clips and stand
- Viewing angle is a bit awkward
5. Extech 380580 Battery Powered Milliohm Meter
- High accuracy, high resolution portable Milliohm meter for field use
- Four terminal Kelvin measurements
- Over-temperature and over-voltage protection
- 5 ranges with 100 µOhm max resolution
- Invalid test indicators prevent inaccurate measurements
Enclosed in a suitcase-like box, this milliohm meter is as convenient as none other. It weighs 1.5 kgs overall, meaning that you’d be able to carry it around with you wherever you go without any issues. Plus, the included accessories make it a suitable device for field use.
Upon the first few tests, the device delivered high accuracy through precise measurements. The kit includes AA batteries for optimal performance and two sets of test leads. These have a 4-wire build and four alligator clips, plus 4-wire with two Kelvin alligator clips as a bonus.
Of course, the kit includes a user manual that effectively explains each one of the functions. While testing, the measurement values display on a large, 2000 count LCD screen.
The large digits are almost impossible to miss, so no one should have any issues with the readings. In any case, the auto-hold function guarantees users won’t miss anything.
What else will you like about this device? The over-temperature and over-voltage protection work well for improved safety measures. Additionally, the auto power off and invalid test indicators are also useful.
Due to its nature, this milliohm meter isn’t as convenient as the handheld alternatives. Fortunately, the handle makes it easy to hold the device as you move between places.
- Highly accurate with high resolution for easy value readings
- Four terminal Kelvin measurements for optimal value measurement
- Plenty of protection due to over-temperature and over-voltage measures
- Comes with invalid test indicators that avoid inaccurate measurements
- Not as convenient as the handheld meg ohm meter
6. Fluke 116/323 HVAC Multi meter & Clamp Meter Combo Kit
- Your unit is calibrated prior to shipment with a new nist-traceable calibration Certificate with data
- The NIST calibration provides you assurance your instrument Meets manufacturer’s specifications Your instrument is ready to Use day one meeting most quality system standards
- : helps prevent false readings due to ghost Voltage
- Large white LED Backlight to work in poorly lit areas
- Resistance, continuity, frequency and capacitance
With a built-in thermometer, the 116 digital multi meter is a good choice for HVAC applications. Naturally, the device also measures resistance up to 40 k? while using the continuity detection system to provide accurate value reading.
Particularly, we liked the Auto V/LoZ function offered by this device. It effectively prevents false readings, guaranteeing only precise value detection. This feature is convenient for many reasons, like to get rid of inappropriate readings potentially caused by ghost voltage.
Also, the many accessories included in the kit enhance the performance of the device. For example, the Fluke 323 clamp meter provides true RMS AC voltage and current to ensure reliable measurements, especially on non-linear signals.
Another valuable accessory included in the kit is the Fluke 80BK-A, which works as an integrated DMM temperature probe. Thanks to this product, there’s no need for users to keep a separate thermometer.
Other items included in the purchase are test leads, a flexible cuff pipe clamp, and a case with a shoulder strap, among others.
Even though we found an issue with the temp probe, which tends to break at the base, a bit of work on it should get the probe up and running quickly.
- Comes with a built-in thermometer for HVAC applications
- Offers true RMS AC voltage & current to deliver accurate measurements for nonlinear signals testing
- Efficiently prevents false readings from ghost voltages
- Large LED backlight keeps poorly-lit areas illuminated
- The temp probe tends to break at the base, needing some work before use
7. SAMYO VC60B+ Digital Insulation Resistance Tester
- Accurate and reliable, wide test range
- Large backlit LCD display, easy to read. Unit symbol display, easy to use
- Strong anti-magnetic and anti-jamming function
- Full function protection, anti high voltage circuit design
- High voltage and short circuit input alarm
The reasons to consider this device the best volt ohm meter are many. Besides having the capacity to offer a wide test range, this meg ohm meter provides the accuracy of a reliable instrument in many applications.
Whether you’re a professional or a beginner, here’s a product that works well for both. The meg ohm meter comes with reliable anti-magnetic and anti-jamming functions that guarantee a smooth performance.
Other than full function protection, the device has a design capable of preventing the dangers of high-voltage circuits. There’s also an alarm that triggers over high voltage or short circuit input, protecting the user and the meg ohm meter’s integrity all the same.
Other functions we liked are data hold and the LCD backlight. Additionally, the purchase includes a couple of test leads, alligator clips, a shoulder strap, and a user manual to help us figure out the device.
Not that operating this device is hard, though. In fact, what sold us on this product is its convenient layout, which includes labeled buttons, a knob, several ports, and an easy-to-read LCD screen.
While we liked the addition of the alligator clips, the truth is that they can be troublesome. Keeping them attached is almost impossible, requiring you to keep your eyes on them. Luckily, every other function and accessory works perfectly.
- High accuracy and reliability under many applications
- Anti-magnetic and anti-jamming function for a smooth performance
- Comes with a large, easy to read LCD display
- Convenient and straightforward front-panel layout
- Alligator clips don?t remain attached
8. Fluke 1507 Digital Meg ohm meter Insulation Resistance Tester
- Your unit is calibrated prior to shipment with a New NIST-Traceable Calibration Certificate with Data
- The NIST calibration provides you assurance your instrument meets manufacturer’s specifications. Your instrument is ready to use day one meeting most quality system standards
- Repetitive or hard-to-reach testing is easy with the remote test probe
- Live circuit detection prevents insulation test if voltage greater than 30-Volts is detected for added user protection
- Read measurements easily with large, backlit display
When searching for a meg ohm meter, Fluke is a brand that will pop up regularly. For a handheld device, the 1507 digital meg ohm meter can be highly efficient. The remote test probe works perfectly, providing accurate results in otherwise hard-to-reach testing circuits.
The meg ohm meter provides precise measuring of AC/DC voltage from 0.1V to 600V while putting up 200mA continuity. These measurements are easy to read once picked, all due to the large, backlit display.
Though a bit intimidating at first, learning how to work your way around this device is simple; the accuracy is top-notch, offering an insulation test range within 0.01 mega ohms up to 10 giga ohms. Plus, the live circuit detection keeps users safe if the voltage goes above 30 Volts.
The kit includes other convenient accessories like a test probe, test lead, and the stray voltage eliminator. One thing missing is a case or a carry bag, which would’ve been useful to keep the device and its accessories protected.
Due to its incredible capacity to measure insulation resistance, this device can be the best ohm resistance meter for both pros and amateurs. It’s accurate, reliable, and the number of functions featured makes it suitable for many applications.
- Offers an insulation test range from 0.01 mega ohms to 10 giga ohms
- Features useful functions such as compare and lock
- Includes several accessories like a test lead and test probe
- A large, backlit screen allows users to read measurements easily
- Doesn?t include a case or carry bag to keep the tools organized
9. AEMC 2126.53 1000V Digital Meg ohm meter
Called a true meg ohm meter by the manufacturer and recommended by many, this device is one we couldn’t let slide. One of the first things we liked about this product is its convenient size, making it a handheld tool that we can take with us without inconveniences.
When you don’t want to carry it by hand, you can use the leg on the back of the device to keep it stable while focusing on the task at hand.
Using this device is easy.
It has a pretty straightforward layout featuring only four pushbuttons, which you can use for data hold, test lock, zero, and the test function right at the center. Down below, the knob indicates the different measurements available.
Despite its small size, the device is capable of working within different ranges. The insulation test voltage system offers selections of 250V, 500V, and 1000V, which is incredibly useful to cover many electrical appliances, circuits, and powered tools.
The screen is easy to read, and the EST LOCK feature allows us to have timed measurements for up to 15 minutes. Following insulation tests, the unit has a convenient auto discharge function.
Since the materials used to create this tool isn’t durable, the carry bag included in the purchase is a big plus that will keep the meg ohm meter safe from damage.
- Efficient handheld, digital 1000V meg ohm meter
- Offers insulation test voltage selections between 250V?1000V
- EST LOCK function provides timed measurements up to 15 mins
- Includes a carry bag and other accessories
- The build material is cheap
10. Extech 380562 220VAC Milliohm Meter
- Benchtop meter provides resolution down to 0.01 mOhm
- 7 ranges for wide low resistance measurements
- High resolution to 0.01m Ohm
- 1999 count display with 0.8-Inch digits
- 4-wire test cable with Kelvin clip connectors
Unlike all of the other devices reviewed so far, this one exchanges portability for power. The Extech 380562 is a benchtop unit that perhaps isn’t as easy to carry around, but it guarantees an efficient performance to provide accurate results via outstanding resolution.
Due to its benchtop nature, this unit has more functions available than what you’d see in the handheld alternatives. Still, the manual and the instructions included allows users to figure out this device quickly.
It’s easy to understand how each function works and when they’re useful. The unit offers resolution down to 0.01 milliohms, meaning the precision is almost unmatchable.
Operating on 220 VAC, other features to like about this instrument is the automatic zero function, the 5V test voltage, and the resistance comparator function.
Besides a capable unit, the accessories included delivered an excellent performance as well. The 4-wire test cable and Kelvin clip connectors allow users to test consumer products, electrical appliances, and many hand tools for safety measures.
As pointed out earlier, the bulky build is honestly the biggest downside of this product. However, this particular design comes in handy for many people, more so if they have their own workspace where they feel comfortable.
- Offers precise resolution down to 0.01m Ohm
- For optimal low resistance measurements, the device has a 7-range system
- Includes a 4-wire test cable and Kelvin clip connectors
- Features a comparator function for Hi/Lo/Go resistance tests
- Bulky construction is a bit awkward
Buying Guide: What to Consider When Choosing The Best Ohm Meter
Looking for the best ohm meter for RDA or just a standard device? Either way, keeping the following information in mind will allow you to find the ideal tool for you and your activities.
a) Measuring Range
Since the measuring range varies significantly between brands and ohm meter models, first, you must figure out what is the measuring range that would suit your activities the most. Once you do that, you’ll be in a better position to narrow down the list of options.
To avoid any misunderstanding while reading values, a large LCD display is a must-have feature in your ideal ohm meter. Not only that, but it is ten times better if the screen has a backlit function to give us clear readings, even if there’s no other source of light in the room.
c) Digital or Analog
Even while looking for a micro ohm meter, digital devices are often the better choice due to their superiority over analog meters.
Digital models are more user-friendly, easy to operate, and they also have a straightforward panel that both experienced and inexperienced users can figure out quickly. Of course, that doesn’t mean the analog ohm meters are bad.
If you want to have precise value readings, then functions like Data Hold are essential. This one, in particular, freezes the screen to prevent variations in the measurement already picked, allowing the users to fully understand what’s going on with the circuit every step of the way.
Since most of the devices in our ohm meter review article have this feature, there’s no need to worry about it that much.
e) Safety Measures
No matter how experienced we are, safety always comes first. We’re working with electrical appliances here, so any slip could lead to an accident.
Ohm meters have multiple protection measures to avoid an incident from taking place, like the anti-high voltage, short circuit, and more.
f) Indicators and Alarms
A dried-out battery can quickly mess up a project that has taken hours of your day. To keep this from happening, consider buying an ohm meter with a battery life indicator.
Also, some of these multi-purpose devices have sound alarms to let the users know about voltage proximity, among other things.
Besides the main ohm meter device, there are several accessories that you must consider purchasing as well ? For example, you could use some test probes, leads, clips, and many more.
Additionally, having a case to keep your tools secured is another plus. While not all brands offer these accessories with their devices, it still is a good idea to buy them separately.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What does the ohmmeter measure?
The ohmmeter is an instrument used to measure electrical resistance, commonly expressed in ohms. In many cases, this function is available in tools like multi meters, which can make more measurements than simply electrical resistance.
2. How does an ohmmeter measure resistance?
The device measures resistance with the circuit’s power deactivated. In this phase, the ohmmeter emits its own current to the unknown resistance, and then the device starts measuring that same current to get a resistance value readout.
3. Why measure ohms?
Measuring resistance allows us to determine the current condition of a circuit or component. Higher resistance means lower current flow and vice versa.
4. Is the ohmmeter easy to use?
In most cases, yes, the ohmmeter is easy to use. The front panels are intuitive, and the buttons are simple enough to understand quickly. Plus, the manuals often give you all the information needed to operate the devices.
5. How many ohms is an open circuit?
The reading should be from 0.3 to 2 ohms. If the reading shows zero value, then it means there’s a short circuit among the phases. On the other hand, over 2,000 ohms means an open circuit exists.
Finding the best ohm meter may be tricky if you don’t know what you’re doing. That’s why our main focus here was to point you in the right direction on what instruments to consider and why even consider them in the first place.
Now, it’s up to you to decide which ohm meter will meet your expectations. Choose wisely and start working on those circuits safely!