Working with wires, circuit breakers, or lighting fixtures are almost inevitable tasks we have to face eventually. If we’re not careful, even the most routinary of these tasks can go sideways, with the operator receiving electrical shocks as one of the less desirable consequences.
At least, that’s how it was back in the day. Now, with the best non contact voltage tester, you get to complete any task involving electricity without your hands even getting near to the voltage source.
Top 5 Best Non Contact Voltage Tester: Editor’s Pick
These devices are outstanding for many reasons – efficiency and safety being among those reasons. Here, we’ll be reviewing some of the most capable non-contact testers available to help you find your ideal pick.
Want to know how these tools can make your experience with electrical appliances more bearable? Then let’s find out!
The 10 Best Non Contact Voltage Tester Reviews:
Searching for the ideal no-touch voltage tester can be tricky due to the many options available. However, we’ve narrowed down the list to only a few of the most efficient picks.
Ready to find the best voltage tester pen? Here’s our top ten list of choices.
1. Fluke 1AC-A1-II VoltAlert Non-Contact Voltage Tester
- Voltbeat technology and continuous self-test - so you always know it is working
- Upon detection, tip glows and beeper sounds
- CAT IV 1000 V for added protection
- Range 90-volt to 1000-volt
- 20-volt to 90-volt AC control circuit model also available
Suitable for non-contact operations, this tester can sense the electrostatic field that AC voltage produces through insulation. Once the device detects the AC voltage, the tip glows red, and you can set up a beeping sound to get a clear warning when you’re close to the electrical source.
Due to its high capacity, the device detects from 90 to 1,000V AC. While using it, the sensitivity displayed allows users to pick up the voltage quickly. It efficiently provides proper readings from energized circuits either at home or the workplace.
The device is also highly capable of avoiding false readings. However, this benefit comes with a downside, which is that the tester must be in a short-range to detect the voltage. In some cases, you have to place it almost touching the source.
Rated to CAT IV 1000 V, and CE and CSA approved, this tester is the best voltage tester pen in terms of safety. So, even if you’re working too close to the electrical source, the device won’t put you in trouble.
What you should know is that this tester has one particular limitation. Since the tip is a bit too wide, you may have issues detecting live outlets because it won’t fit. For any other task, expect nothing but great results out of this product.
- Efficient voltbeat technology for a continuous operation
- Reduces false readings
- The tip glows and the beeper sounds once it detects the voltage
- Rated CATV IV 1000V for more protection
- Can’t detect live outlets — the tip is too wide to fit
2. Sperry Non Contact Voltage Tester (VD6504)
- VERIFIES VOLTAGE PRESENSE: Verifies the presence of AC Voltage prior to working on electrical installation or troubleshooting (GFI6302 and VD6504)
- DURABLE: Hi-Impact Resistant ABS housing with soft over-molded rubber grips with a compact ergonomic design (GFI6302 and VD6504)
- QUICKLY READ: Bright color-coded neon lights for easy visual indication (GFI6302)
- CIRCUIT SENSING: Non-Contact sensitivity detects 50-1000V AC and patented battery self-test feature (VD6504)
- AUDIBLE AND VISIBLE INDICATOR: 360° visual and beeping audio Non-Contact Voltage Detection (VD6504)
Here, we have a product that isn’t only one, but rather a kit of two. The kit includes a traditional non-contact voltage tester and a GFCI outlet tester. When used, both of these instruments can verify the presence of AC voltage before getting your hands in there.
The tester comes with a hi-impact resistant ABS build and soft rubber grips for comfortable use. Both tools are also compact, meaning it’s easy to carry them around. While active, the devices detect 50 to 1000V AC, offering 360° visual and audio confirmation once they pick up the voltage.
After trying it out, the line voltage tester performed well, but it was the GFCI outlet that sold these products for us. It features a user-friendly design with plenty of indicators to keep you informed on the voltage received.
Plus, using the outlet tester is easy, allowing anyone to locate hot terminals and voltage presence in outlets via a straightforward operation.
Although the line tester doesn’t provide false no-voltage readings, it does often detect voltage when there’s no measurable voltage. For a precise reading, you’d have to use a multimeter. Either way, that’s just a mild inconvenience in an otherwise perfect tool.
- Durable ABS housing with comfortable rubber grips
- Includes a line tester and an outlet tester
- Features bright neon lights for visual indications
- Detects 50-1000V AC
- The line tester occasionally picks up voltage when there’s none
3. KAIWEETS Voltage Tester HT100 Non Contact AC Electricity Detect Pen
- SAFETY FIRST: It will send out multiple alarms through sound and light. When the voltage is detected, the tip will send out red light and beep. When the higher the sensed voltage is, or the closer it is to the voltage source, it beeps at a higher frequency. At the same time, the screen will be red or green, red means high voltage and live wire are detected, green means low voltage and null wire are detected.
- NON-CONTACT: With NCV inductive probe for AC voltage; Just place the tip near a terminal strip, outlet, or supply cord. When the tip glows red and the pen beeps, you know there's voltage present. The live wire detector can automatically detect the live or neutral wire. Ideal for breakpoint Test. Handy circuit tester for electricians, homeowners.
- DUAL RANGE: Detects standard and low voltage (12-1000V AC / 48-1000V AC) for more sensitive and flexible measurements. Press the S button to adjust sensitivity and adapt low range for doorbells, thermostats, irrigation wiring etc.; The NCV sensor automatically recognizes the voltage and displays it on the bar graph.
- SECURITY LEVEL: IEC rated CAT III 1000V CAT IV 600V, Meets CE requirements; The electrical tester is safely double insulated. High Voltage Alert to warn you of voltage above 90V, the screen turn red and the safety symbol on the screen shines.
- COMPACT DESIGN: Bright LED flashlight for work in dim ares; Low-Power-Indicator when battery voltage is below 2.5V; Automatic Power Off after 3 minutes without operation or signal detection; Pocket-sized, pen hook allows you to carry it in your shirt pocket. We provide 36-Month after sale service, Please feel free to contact us if you have any concerns.
Working with electrical appliances often requires quick thinking and sometimes even faster reactions.
Here, we’re taking a look at a device that quickly receives frequencies, giving you proper voltage reading and allowing you to determine whether the electrical appliances are working as intended.
Before mentioning anything else, we have to point out the on/off switch. While other testers are a bit hard to operate or change modes, the improved system with only two buttons included in this device makes it easy to use — it only takes about two seconds to get the tester up and running.
Once active, the tester detects live wire and null wire efficiently. As it detects the voltage, the device emits bright lights to let you know what type of wire the tested line has. Here, the high-definition LCD screen plays an important role, as it clearly shows you the voltage intensity.
Other convenient features found in this device are the auto power-off systems, the low battery indicator, and the LED flashlight.
Though the high sensitivity of the device can be a benefit, it can often play against us as well. Sometimes, you’ll have to isolate other potential voltage sources nearby to get a correct reading.
- A high-definition LCD screen that provides accurate readings
- Capable of identifying live and null wire efficiently
- Low-battery indicator and bright LED flashlight included
- Features convenient indicators for high and low voltage
- The high sensitivity could be a problem in some cases
4. Klein Tools NCVT-6 Non Contact Voltage Tester
- Non-contact Tester determines AC voltage in cables, cords, circuit breakers, switches, outlets, wires, as well as security, entertainment, communications, environmental control, and irrigation systems
- Volt Pen detects AC voltage from 12 to 1000V with visual and audible indicators
- Incorporates a 66-Foot (20 m) Laser Distance Meter that can measure in meters, inches in fractions or decimals, and feet in fractions or decimals, with accuracy up to 1/16-Inch (0.16 cm)
- High-visibility reverse contrast display for better viewing in low light conditions
- Laser Class II, 630 to 670nm, Max. Power <1mW
This non-contact device can detect AC voltage from 12 to 1000V through an easy operation that keeps the users safe at all times. Also, you can read the data provided in an easy-to-read display, making this product a reliable tool that you can use to work on electrical appliances safely.
The flexibility of this device is also a feature worth mentioning. It comes with a 66-foot laser distance meter capable of measuring in different metrics, such as meters and inches with decimals or fractions. Additionally, it can measure in feet as well.
Plus, the device is even better due to its intuitive interface. You switch between modes using a single-button operation, allowing you to change the laser distance measurement and voltage detection.
Besides being visually informative, the tester also provides audible alarms once it detects AC voltage. Particularly, we like how the device beeps at higher frequencies depending on the voltage received or how close it’s to the source.
One issue you may have with this device is due to the reduced portability caused by its design. When compared to the others, this tester is a bit bulkier. While it has all the merits to be the best voltage tester, carrying it around isn’t as easy.
- Capable of detecting AC voltage from 12 to 1000V
- Offers visual and efficient audible alarms once it detects the voltage
- Measures in meters, inches, and feet, including fractions or decimals
- Simple and intuitive interface makes it easy to use
- A bulkier build reduces the tester’s portability
5. eOutil Non-Contact Voltage Tester With Flashlight
- Electricity Measurement Pen---This unit is a non-contact AC voltage detector for detecting 60V-1000V AC voltage.Safety Compliance：CAT.IV, CE.
- Safe＆Reliable---Insulation operation ensures the safety of testing.You can use this non-contact AC voltage detection to check whether a cable, wire or socket contains AC voltage.
- Illumination Function---Special sensing tip with flashlight, light white for illumination when pressing flashlight button tightly and helps you work much better in dark.
- Red light＆Buzzer---When it detects AC voltage, detection light will flash red and buzzer will sound short beeps. Durable ABS Case, perfectly portable pencil hook and convenient pocket clip help you to easy use at long-term.
- What You Get---High-quality product, the unit has ETL safety Certificate and conforms to national standards.High-quality service, to make you unworried before/after the purchase.
Available with a slightly different and yet eye-catching design, this device detects 60V to 1000V AC voltage in a variety of appliances. Since the unit has the ETL safety certificate and is compliant with national standards, your safety won’t get compromised as you work with electricity.
To improve the overall performance of the device, the durable ABS case included is both durable and resistant. Besides, its compact build makes it portable. There’s also a convenient pocket clip attached to keep the tester with you at all times.
When it comes to functionality, the device works perfectly. It measures AC efficiently, giving you plenty of indications to know when the tester picks up signals. Of course, for better readings, it’d be better to avoid using this tool in intense electric field areas.
The tester weighs 30g, offers a frequency range of 50Hz/60Hz, and its compact design makes it a portable tool. Everything from the detection lights to the alarm sounds and the highly accurate sensitivity makes this product a reliable pick.
This device doesn’t have an on/off switch, meaning that it is always ready to be used. Even though many may find the lack of this feature odd, the truth is that it doesn’t affect the tester’s performance in any way.
- Buzzer alarm and lights for voltage detection
- ETL safety certificate makes it a safe device
- Durable and resistant ABS case
- Compact, lightweight, and portable construction
- Doesn’t have an on/off button
6. Klein Tools NCVT-3 Non-Contact Voltage Tester With Flashlight
- Voltage tester provides non-contact detection of AC voltage
- Volt pen detects 12 to 1000V AC with simultaneous visual and audible voltage indicators
- Bright flashlight illuminates work area and may be used independent of voltage detection function
- Visual LED bar graph indicates the presence of voltage - the higher the voltage sensed, or the closer to the voltage source, the more LEDs light up
- Bar graph visual voltage indicator utilizes up to five vibrant LEDs for easy interpretation/viewing
The following device has a compact polycarbonate plastic resin build with an attached clip that makes it easy to fit in your pocket.
With a power operating range between 50 to 1000 AC, you’ll find many applications for this tool. It offers non-contact voltage detection in cables, switches, wires, outlets, and more.
This device offers an ON/OFF button that, although it’s alright for the most part, is also easy to turn on accidentally. Luckily, the auto-shutoff feature guarantees the batteries don’t run out too quickly if we don’t notice the device is active.
There’s also a bunch of convenient features that you’ll be happy to have at the workplace. For instance, this tool has a bright green LED that lets the user know when the tester is operational. The LED also serves as a proper illumination mechanism to see in darker spaces.
Also, there’s no way you’ll miss it once the tester detects the voltage. If, by any chance, you don’t notice the bright red LED, which is already hard not to spot, there’s a warning tone that works as an audible sound to let the users know they made contact.
Besides the ON/OFF button, which could be a bit more low-profile, everything else about this product makes it a good volt tester pen to have at our disposal.
- Provides non-contact voltage detection in wires, switches, lighting fixtures, and more
- Features LED indicators to let users know when the device is active and detection of voltage
- Comes with an auto-shutoff feature that helps protect battery life
- Polycarbonate plastic resin build is durable, compact, and lightweight
- The high profile of the ON/OFF button makes it easy to activate the device by accident
7. Neoteck Non-contact AC Voltage Tester Pen, AC 12-1000V
- 【Non-contact Voltage Tester】 Ranging 12-1000V AC, You can easily distinguish the live and null wire through different level of alarm sound and LED indicator. ( Note Please:Not Suitable for Christmas Light Testing)
- 【Safe and Convenient】 The Voltage Pen Tester Detectes Voltage in a Non-Contact Way, So Do Not Worry about There Could be any Possibility of being Shocked by the Electricity
- 【High Efficiency】 As Long As Voltage is Detected, the Led in the Tester Pen will Shine
- 【Multifunction, Easy to Use】 It Also Acts as an Emergency Flashlight which can Illuminate the Working Area, You can Use the Non Contact Voltage Detector in Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets, Wires and Anywhere You Need it
- 【CE CAT III600V RoHS Certificate】 A Professional Tester, It is Perfectly Suitable also for DIY'ers, Hobbyists and Home Owners, It Helps You Make the First and the Most Important Safety Check
With a remarkable 12 to 1000V AC detection capacity, there’s no electric appliance at home that escapes this tool. Plus, due to its non-contact build, electricians can use it safely without any concerns. It’s an ideal instrument for DIYers because of its power and convenience.
Furthermore, the addition of the insulating plastic cover guarantees reducing the risks of accidents drastically.
Since it features a pen design, the tester is pretty easy to carry around. The weight is lightweight, and the holder makes it easy to keep it close to you in a pocket. The purchase also includes a couple of 1.5V AAA batteries to get right to work as soon as you receive the product.
Using the tester is pretty straightforward. Once you get close to the AC voltage, the device illuminates and makes a beep to let you know about the proximity. Additionally, the tool can distinguish between the live and null wire through varying frequencies, alarm sounds, and the LED indicator.
In some cases, the sensitivity of the testers varies unexpectedly. It often picks up readings without even setting it to sensitive mode, which can be a bit confusing. Still, for the price, this device does provide an excellent performance apart from that small issue.
- Safe to use, featuring insulating plastic cover
- 12 to 1000V AC readings to test almost any electrical appliance
- Compact build allows users to carry the tester around
- LED indicators and sound alarms to keep users informed
- Picks up readings while not active on sensitive mode
8. RockSeed Non-Contact AC Voltage Detector
Who doesn’t like fancy tools? The design of this tester isn’t only good-looking, but it’s also highly efficient to keep track of the device’s functionality. While testing for AC voltage, this item automatically detects live or null wires to ensure easy readings for the users.
The option to adjust the device’s sensitivity allows users to adapt to any circumstances. Since the pen offers a multi-range testing range, you get the possibility to change from mid or high settings to get proper readings.
There’s also the low sensitivity mode, which is capable of distinguishing between zero and live lines.
While using the tester, you’ll notice that its design is convenient for a lot of reasons. Most noticeably, the device identifies voltage automatically, which the tool later shows through the multiple indicators.
Other features you’ll like about this device are the flashlight function, the automatic shut down after three minutes of no use, and the buzzer alarm once the tester detects voltage sources.
Since it only indicates low, medium, or high levels of voltage, people that need detailed readings may not like this tester. If you don’t have issues with that, then you can expect the multiple reading modes offered by the tester to back you up.
- Identifies live/null wire and triggers a buzzer alarm
- Energy-saving voltage indicators and low battery warning
- Features an auto-shutdown feature to save battery life
- NCV sensor offers outstanding sensitivity
- Doesn’t provide accurate, detailed voltage readings
9. Klein Tools NCVT-2 Dual Range Non-Contact Voltage Tester
- Voltage Tester automatically detects and indicates low voltage (12-48V AC) and standard voltage (48-1000V AC) allowing broad application
- Non-contact detection of standard voltage in cables, cords, circuit breakers, lighting fixtures, switches, outlets and wires
- Non-contact detection of low voltage in security, entertainment, communications, environmental control, and irrigation systems
- High intensity, bright green LED indicates the tester is operational and aids in illuminating the workspace
- Dual Range testing, select 12-1000V AC or 48-1000V AC
Due to the device’s versatile functionality that allows it to work within low 12-48V AC or high 48-1000V AC ranges, this tester comes as an affordable pick that quickly helps you check the state of each of your electrical appliances.
Among its many uses, this tool tests wires, switches, outlets, circuit breakers, and many more.
Though this device isn’t as good-looking as the previous picks, its design allows it to be efficient. For instance, it comes with a bright green LED light that works as both an indicator to let you know the tester is working and as illumination for improved visibility in dark workspaces.
Every one of these features worked perfectly. The sensitivity of the device picks up voltage sources quickly, allowing you to get clean and proper readings. Plus, you can adjust the dual-range testing between 12-1000V AC and 48-1000V AC to adapt to any circumstances.
Once the device detects low or standard voltage, it emits a red light and a couple of warning sounds to keep you informed. In case the tester goes several minutes of no use, the auto power-off feature shuts it down to preserve battery life.
Is the device perfect? Mostly, yes, but you do have to be careful while using it on low voltage mode. It’s too sensitive, which can lead to confusing results. Checking twice is almost a must. Other than that, this product could be your best voltage detector pen.
- The dual-range system makes it a versatile device
- High intensity LED indicators keep you updated on the device’s performance
- Automatically shuts off power when not in use
- Lightweight, durable, and convenient polycarbonate plastic resin build
- Overly sensitive low voltage mode may lead to confusing readings
10. Hongee Non-Contact AC Voltage Tester
- 【Safe non-contact voltage test pen】 The sensing area is fully protected, and the measurement is safer. quality ABS plastic body & probe ensures the safety of testing. to protect your safety
- 【AC voltage detection and zero live wire judgment】 Accurately detect AC voltages from 12V to 1000V, and at the same time, it can distinguish live and neutral wires through different frequency alarm sounds and two-color lights With smart digital control elctric 。
- 【LED lighting and automatic shutdown function】The voltage test pen has an LED light, which can be called a voltage test light. Press the flashlight button to turn on/off the flashlight; if the flashlight is not turned off, the pen will automatically turn off/off when there is no operation within 5 minutes and no current is detected.
- 【Switchable sensitivity】The sensitivity of the probe can be adjusted, and the measurement is more sensitive, which can meet the measurement in various places. The test pen passes frequency and different colors of LEDs to indicate high, medium and low sensitivity.
- 【Lightweight and portable, easy to use】 Mini size with clip and light weight, this compact voltage tester can be easily placed in a pocket or toolbox for easy carrying. Press down on the yellow area, and at the same time pull the black pen cover back to easily insert the battery，Our non contact AC voltage tester can detect all electric appliances in your family and company. Easy to use(just like 1~2~3) ,so our clients like it. 12-month service
With a fully covered sensor area, this tester guarantees the user’s protection above anything else. It features an ABS plastic body with a capable probe to pick up the voltage from a variety of home appliances.
DIYers will also love the versatility offered by this device. By adjusting the sensitivity of the probe, the tester can either increase or decrease the voltage pick-up. This feature comes in handy when there are multiple electrical sources nearby, which can interfere with the results received.
Depending on the frequency received, the tester puts up different LED colors to indicate high, medium, or low sensitivity. These lights respond quickly once the device picks up the signals, allowing us to identify and single out the voltage source we’re testing.
Similar to most of the other devices included here, this one also works as a flashlight. Plus, you can expect a compact, mini design to carry the tester anywhere you go and the automatic shutoff function after 5 minutes of no use.
To finish our non contact voltage tester review, we have to mention that the plastic used for the build of this device isn’t that durable. Nonetheless, the protective material for the probe does hold its ground, preventing cracks or dangerous situations from occurring.
- Responsive probe with protective materials for more safety
- Detects AC voltages between 12V and 1000V accurately
- Efficiently identifies live and neutral wires by picking different frequencies
- LED indicators and automatic shutdown feature
- Low-quality plastic build
Buying Guide: What to Consider When Choosing Non Contact Voltage Tester
Since we’re putting our safety at risk while dealing with electrical appliances, we want our non contact voltage tester to be the most capable and safest choice out there. Here’s a list of features to consider that’ll help you find the best non contact voltage tester.
a) Easy to Use
To use these Non Contact Voltage testers, you have to do nothing more than getting the tip close to the appliance you want to test. Once you do, lights illuminate to let you know the device detected a signal.
A tester that doesn’t work like that and provides more troubles than what it solves shouldn’t even be a consideration.
b) Voltage Capacity
Whether you’re a DIYer or a professional, having a powerful non-contact tester makes it easy to detect voltage from different ranges.
Not only will you have the option to handle routine tasks, but you’ll also have the right tool to do more demanding operations like testing outside power that comes to the circuit panel.
The voltage range detection can vary between 5 to 1000V AC, depending on the tester model.
As you search for the best non contact voltage detector, you’ll find products rated CAT III or CAT IV.
The first one, CAT III, refers to hard-wire equipment measurements for fixed installations, circuit breakers, or distribution boards. Rated CAT III devices can also test switches, outlets, cables, and more.
Testers rated CAT IV can test primary supply sources. This certification also makes the devices strong enough to handle high and dangerous transient over-voltage levels.
d) Voltage Indicators
Since we need clear indications that we reached the correct voltage source, the devices include a variety of alarms to keep you updated. For instance, multiple color lights illuminate once you made contact, as well as a beeper sound for audible confirmation.
e) Extra Features
Besides the lights that work as voltage indicators, the devices often offer bright illumination similar to a flashlight. This feature is highly convenient, as it’ll allow the users to see what they’re doing in darker work areas.
Frequently Asked Questions: About Non Contact Voltage Tester
a) What can you do with a non contact voltage tester?
A non-contact tester is a device that allows users to check the voltage in a variety of electrical appliances, which they can do without touching wires or parts. Think of it as a pen-like tool that senses voltage through its tip.
b) How does a non contact voltage tester work?
The way these devices work is by using a capacitor coupling that efficiently detects electric fields. A non-contact voltage tester senses energized conductors, regardless if they belong to a complete circuit or not.
c) What’s the best voltage detector pen?
Choosing the right tester depends on the user’s personal preferences. All of the products listed here are effective for many tasks, which is why you’re free to choose the device that you like the most. Just remember to go for a reliable, user-friendly, and safe tool.
d) How to use a non contact voltage tester?
Using the non-contact voltage tester is a hassle-free process. After turning on the device, approach the tip to the electrical appliance you want to test. Some testers have adjustable sensitivity, which you can change depending on the task at hand.
e) Are non contact voltage testers reliable?
Yes, these testers are easily the safest choice when it comes to checking voltage. The multiple sensitivity modes make it easy to make each test from a safe distance, reducing the risks of accidents to zero.
With the best non contact voltage tester, no longer will you have to put yourself in harm’s way while working with electricity. These devices allow you to check the status of your electrical appliances both efficiently and safely, giving you precise readings afterward.
Next time you have to check outlets, wires, or electric panels, consider using one of these tools to prevent any accidents from ever taking place.