The world has seen lots of technological advancement, and we are in a time where electricity is one of the essential things in life. Many of our appliances, devices, and machines all require power, hence capacitors.
Whether you’re a repairman, an electrician, an electricity-related course student, or simply just need to carry out household work. Whatever your reason is, if you need to learn about the best ESR meters, you’re at the right place. So buckle up, turn down your resistance, so this guide can flow through you with ease, and let’s begin.
What is an ESR meter?
Well, let’s find out, All capacitors do not just let AC currents flow through them easily; they all have a varying amount of resistance to the flow of this current called internal resistance.
This is where ESR, which stands for Equivalent Series Resistance, comes in. It is the total internal resistance of a capacitor measured in Ohms.
Therefore, an ESR meter can be seen simply as an electronic instrument with a two-terminal that is used mainly to measure the Equivalent Series Resistance or ESR of real capacitors, usually without having to disconnect the capacitor from the circuit.
Top 5 Best ESR Meter: Editor Recommended
An ESR meter is a vital tool that every electronic repairer should have on their repair workbench. It is basically a device used to test, troubleshoot and repair electronic appliances etc.
An ESR has a significant advantage over other specialized instruments to detect short-circuits because it can measure low resistances, injecting a voltage not high enough to confuse readings by switching on semiconductor junctions in the circuit.
As important as ESR meters are, it is even more critical that you get the best cheap ESR meter so it can serve you well without having to spend much. Getting a good ESR meter can be quite a daunting task.
This guide has put together all you need to know about paying for the best ESR meter. I will now make a wide range of ESR meters at the right prices for you to pick out what suits you best.
The 10 Best ESR Meters Reviews:
Here is a comprehensive list of the Top 10 best ESR meters with respective ESR meter reviews and their kits.
1. Signstek MESR-100 V2 Capacitor ESR Meter
- Using true 100 KHz sine wave to...
- Dual terminal, for fast and easy...
- Measuring range from 0.001 to...
Signstek has made an enormous impact on the market with its products, and this MESR-100 V2 ESR meter is one of that high performance, high selling product by the company.
If you are looking for a high and accurate reading device for ESR, this device is your best choice. Aside from being the best product of a trusted company this powerful device is very reliable, fast, and accurate, and above all, it is affordable.
The device comes with a fantastic outlook, having a clean, clear 4-digit display to match, and weighs only 218 grams. It is very effective too, capable of measuring capacitor ESR from 0.001 to 100R, while applying less than 15mV DC.
This makes it ideal for a circuit test. The Signtek MESR-100 has a dual terminal to assist in the fast and easy inspection of capacitors and is also equipped with a 100KHz sine wave meter reading, and any fluctuation is eliminated.
The ESR meter is very easy to operate as it has three buttons (including a handy zero control that can be used to reset the device after readings), two polar holes, and a printed ESR table on its body.
It also comes packaged with one capacitance meter, 2 test clips, and one user manual to assist in serving you better. The powering of the device is very easy as well. You only need two AA 1.5V cell batteries, or you use a universal 5V USB port.
- Weight 218g approximately
- 4 digit 1-ohm range
- Accuracy up to 1% described on table
- 2A operating current
- 5V micro USB external power
- Package includes meter, test clips, user manual guide
- High resolution
- < 40mV measuring voltage
- 15V clamping voltage
- 02A operating current
- A 2x AA 1.5V battery with a life time >80 hours.
- Easy to use
- Lightweight and easy to carry about
- Excellent display
- Noise signal is removed by the quality square wave to sine wave conversion
- Has manual reset
- Excellent power supply
- You need to use it with little care as it’s a bit fragile
- You might need to charge it often because of its battery life.
2. BSIDE ESR02 PRO Transistor Tester Diode Triode Capacitance ESR Meter
- [Wide Application]: It is very easy...
- [Automatical Identification]:...
- [Typical ESR Value Guide]: There is...
The BSIDE ESR02 is one of the best cheap ESR meters you can find in the market. It is a multifunction meter that can be used as an ESR meter. It is not just fascinating and worth being in the top10 for being beautiful alone, but the meter is reputed for being very portable and reliable as well.
Complementing the beautiful outlook of this device is a large LCD display with a backlight function making readings even more fun. This display is backed with an auto power-off of 20 seconds after measurement to ensure that the battery doesn’t get run down by it.
The device is built with automatic identification and has wide application. It can be used to automatically detect NPN, PNP bipolar transistors, N-channel and P-channel MOS field-effect transistors, junction type FET, diodes, diodes, thyristors, low power unidirectional and bidirectional thyristors.
Also, two resistors and resistor symbols can be measured simultaneously, as well as a single disorder reverse capacitance. When purchased, the device comes packaged with a Digital Transistor Tester and 1 English User Manual to help for better understanding.
- Multifunction tester
- Operation voltage 9V-12V at adaptor, battery 9V
- Accurate reading
- Clear display
- 0 – 50MΩ Resistor with a 0.01Ω resolution
- 01mH – 20H inductor with a resolution of 0.01mH
- Capacitor of 2uF – 50mF with a Resolution of 0.01Ω
- It is cheap
- Has a backlight function for clear reading
- Can be used by beginners
- It is very accurate
- Comes with multiple automatic settings
- It is multifunctional
- Manufactured quality may not be good
- Batteries are not available in the package
3. Smart Tweezers ST5-S BT LCR Meter/ESR Meter with Bluetooth for iOS
- Precision LCR Meter with Bluetooth,...
- 0.2% Base accuracy, Autoimatic and...
- Bluetooth connection to...
The Smart Tweezers ST5-S is one of the most advanced, most amazing, and finest designed ESR meters there is. It shows its superiority in the brilliant range and type of measurements it harbors, just to mention a few of its outstanding features. It also has the best ESR meter kit.
With the impressive pen-shaped structure of the device, it is in fact one of the most portable ESR meters in the market. The Smart Tweezers Bluetooth model is designed to be connected to almost any device and stream key measurement readings to the connected devices.
With this, users can see readings in a much better and higher quality display. The device comes with several essential and unique kits. They include a Bluetooth receiver for windows application, a custom carrying case, a universal 110-240V wall charger.
Microwave USB cable for charging the device from a USB port, Bluetooth connection to almost all software devices including Android, iOS and Windows, a 2-year warranty amongst other amazing features as well.
- Precision LCR Meter with Bluetooth, ideal for SMD, calibrated, certificate included
- 2% Base accuracy, Automatic and manual C, R, L, Z, and ESR modes
- Bluetooth connection to iOS/Android, Windows, and Lab View (ST52SADBTW)
- Swiss-Made 24K Gold-plated Test Leads. OLED Display, Built-in Li-Ion battery
- Directly from Advance Devices, Inc. with a 2-year warranty.
- Can be easily operated with one hand
- It is very portable
- It is very accurate
- Can be viewed in a more advanced display
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- It can easily be misplaced
- It is quite expensive
4. Yosoo GM328 Lcd Display Transistor Tester ESR Meter Cymometer Square Wave Generator
- using the latest 2014 version V1.11...
- micro-controller uses 8MHz external...
- LCD using 12864 LCD screen that can...
The YosooGM328 is one of the best cheap ESR meters on this review today. It is one for those who love doing electronic fixes or those who want to learn about circuit board components.
You might underrate it because it isn’t assembled, but I assure you, you will get the accurate data you need. The device comes at a great deal as you get it cheap and can do the assembly yourself.
It comes with a very large LCD for better results display and with a backlight feature to assist. Although not assembled, the device is a good quality ESR meter as it has a high speed beating many other quality ESR meters.
This device can be used be to test a wide range, including Inductors, capacitors, diodes, dual diode, mos transistor, SCR, the regulator, LED tube, and ESR, and still have power-saving features to assist.
- Uses the latest 2014 version V1.11 software, M328 chip.
- Not assembled
- Micro-controller uses 8MHz external crystal; measurement accuracy is better.
- LCD using 12864 LCD screen that can display measured data and graphics.
- main chip dual in-line with a socket, ideal for electronics enthusiasts upgrade or replace the chip.
- Current: When 9V voltage, stable operating current of about 20mA.
- It is very cheap
- It comes with a very wide display
- It is very fast
- It can be used as a great educational material for those who need to study a motherboard.
- It has high accuracy
- It is not assembled
5. KOOKYE Mega328 Transistor Tester Diode Triode Capacitance ESR Meter
- Automatic test the pin of a...
- Resistance measurement resolution...
- Inductors, capacitors , diodes,...
The Kooky Mega328 is the cheapest ESR meter on our review. Its price however does not affect its performance or quality. The device comes with many functions and features still.
The ESR meter has an excellent LCD display and a backlight function. It also comes with boots voltage detection and takes readings at high speed.
The device was designed to automatically detect diodes thyristors, transistors, resistors, capacitors, and other components. It comes packaged with a Mega328 Transistor Tester ESR meter and a clear case.
- LCD 12864 LCD, with backlight, backlight color is generally yellow-green.
- Automatic test the pin of a component, and display on the LCD
- Resistance measurement resolution is 0.1 ohms , 50M ohms can be measured
- Inductors, capacitors, diodes, dual diode, mos, transistor, SCR, the regulator, LED tube, ESR,
- Before measuring capacitance, the capacitor must be discharged; otherwise likely damage the meter
- It is very cheap
- It comes with a backlight
- Color contrast can be adjusted
- It takes very accurate readings
- Measurements of some capacitors may take time
6. KKmoon MESR-100 ESR Capacitance Meter
- ❤❤❤[ESR of Capacitor] It is a...
- ❤❤❤【High Performance】Dual...
- ❤❤❤【Backlight Design & Auto...
The next device on our review is the MESR-100 ESR meter by KKmoon. The reputable company has presented us with a quality, easy-to-use portable auto-ranging ESR meter, supporting in-circuit testing.
This is also another magnificent product that uses a sine wave of 100KHz to produce excellent results. In addition to this, it has a very high performance backed with a robust test function and a dual terminal to facilitate its inspection.
The device comes with a sizeable, well-backlit LCD, and an automatic sleep feature. Its toughness and easy understanding is also guaranteed as it has a strong protective casing with a printed ESR table on it. The meter comes packaged with two test clips and a user manual.
- Excellent square wave to sine wave conditions
- Superb for circuit testing
- The device has a curved interface for handheld testing
- The meter has a manual button of zero to set the device
- Greater resolution and range
- It is very accurate
- The meter is handy to use
- The product accommodates square wave to sine wave conversion
- Excellent circuit testing
- The leads are not proper sometimes
7. Atlas ESR Meter ESR70
- Measure Capacitance and ESR...
- New enhanced dynamic range of 0.00...
- ESR Resolution as fine as 0.01 ohms...
The Atlas ESR70 model is one excellent instrument for work on ESR. This device brought unique features to the market. Some of these features included an audible alert and an enhanced measurement range.
It’s most unique feature is the audible alert. Measurement results will still be shown on display, but this time, it comes with the production of a variety of sounds signaling the start of measurement and also at the end, depending on the ESR value.
In this magnificent device, the range of ESR measurement has been doubled, and it now allows the accessing of large capacitors, tracing short-circuits, and finding the precise location of a PCB with faults. It is well designed, offers instant results, and even has protection against high capacitance
- Audible alert
- Automatic calibration internal signal
- Auto discharging function
- Lightweight only 3.39 ounces
- Clear LCD display
- It is suitable in circuit applications
- The instrument has excellent audio support
- The ranges are from 0.0 to 40 ohm
- The resolution is 0.01 ohm
- It has an excellent resolution
- The range is very unique
- It is very portable
- It has protection from high capacitance
- It has a very good design
- The sounds it gives off can be annoying sometimes.
8. Blue ESR Meter – Fully Assembled
- Tests ESR of >1uF electrolytics in...
- Non polarized test leads with...
- Automatic power off when reading is...
The Blue ESR tester is a highly reputable ESR meter that has been in the market since 2007. The device is very light, handy, and affordable. Due to its price and performance compatibility, it is no surprise that it is the highest seller and is still preferred by many till date.
This ESR meter has a very clear LED display and auto power off after 3 minutes of idleness. The device is straightforward to read and use. It also comes with an ESR parameter data table and has non-polarized test leads with resistance compensation.
- LED display
- ESR table parameters include on the body
- Auto power off after 3 minutes
- Made in USA
- Compact in size and easy to carry
- Offers feature of testing rechargeable batteries and PCBs
- Automatic Power-off function for battery saving
- Comes with two non-polarized test leads
- Accurate and quick readings
- It is very affordable
- It is easy to take about
- It has bright LED display
- It takes very accurate readings
- Highest selling model
- It’s technology is slightly old
9. B&K Precision 881 In-Circuit ESR Meter
- Product Category: Component Testers
- RoHS: E
- Type: In-Circuit ESR DC
This is one of the most famous products of trusted company B&K Precision and is considered as one of the most accurate ESR meters. It is also one of the highest-selling ESR meters.
The model is a portable in-circuit ESR meter that can also be used to measure non-inductive resistors with low values. It comes with a unique three-color front panel chart showing good, fair, and bad readings.
The device is featured to automatically calibrate internal signal and measure ESR with a range from 0.1 to 30 ohms. It has a 1 Year warranty as proof of its durability.
- Offers 1-30 Ohm range for better precision
- Easy to use and handy design
- Three-colored indication board for faster execution
- Comes with a durable analog meter that can bear more significant external wear and tear
- It weighs about 385 grams
- It is very easy to use
- It is highly accurate
- Its build make it suitable for outdoor usage
- It is very durable
- It has fewer features than other ESR meters
10. Aimometer ESR01 Capacitor ESR Meter Tester Capacitance Meter LCR Meter
- Use SCM port to detect synchronous...
- Measure the capacitance of...
- the application of over sampling...
The Aimometer ESR01 ESR meter rounds up our review today. It is a highly accurate device that uses an SCM port to detect synchronous wave.
It also uses a 12 bit AD converter with the application of the oversampling technique, and by using one range, it can achieve 0.01 to 20 ohms. The device has a unique design, different from other ESR Meters.
It is shaped somewhat like a table, standing on four legs with its backlit high display screen on top. This ESR meter has a high accuracy and performance speed and comes packaged with a WSR01 ESR Meter and an English manual.
- Use SCM port to detect synchronous wave directly, single-chip to generate square wave signal measurement, and the precise synchronization signal.
- Use a method similar to the LCR digital bridge to detect. After the 90 phases synchronous detection, the capacitance value can be obtained.
- The application of the oversampling technique, use the 12 bit AD converter, so just one range can achieve 0.01 to 20-ohm measurement.
- With automatic constant zero function, zero drift reduction decimal zero, ensure long time stability
- It is very portable
- It is highly accurate
- It is very easy to work with
- It is very cheap
- It might be complex for some people to understand
These are all meters with the perfect ranges, high-quality parts, good battery, and accurate readings. They are also perfect if you need something budget-friendly.
Buying Guide: What to Consider When Choose Best ESR Meter
Before shopping for an ESR meter, there are somethings you need to put into consideration so that you don’t end up wasting your money. In this guide, I will highlight everything you need to know to get the best ESR meter kit.
First, you need to have your mind made up on what you want before you even go out to look for it. Next, make sure you take the time to check for some necessary components. See if it has or lacks some important parts before you buy.
Here is a comprehensive list of some of the things you should consider to choose before buying an ESR meter:
ESR meters should come in two different screen types — LED and LCD. Whatever the screen type between these two should have a large and clear enough display to show all the needed values and other required data during testing.
A development to consider is the resolution of the display as it has significant advantages. A backlit display is also very much preferred. With this, you can work even in places of poor lighting.
b) Auto or Manual
An ESR meter can be used either Automatic or Manual. These are the two transmissions they come in. They both have their individual modes of operation, and their reliability can be related to which transmission type they fall under.
Auto-ranging meters are the most preferable among the two. This is because they can automatically detect and determine accurate values. They are also very reliable and, most importantly, are easier to understand and use.
c) Model or Structure
The model or structure, or design of a meter can affect you considerably. A meter constructed in such a way that it cannot be held with the hand will always require a table or any other flat surface before it can be used comfortably.
Also, heavy meters can make work more difficult. They are difficult to take about, making them stressful and uncomfortable to work with.
Therefore, you should make sure the meter is constructed in such a way that it is portable, handy, and light in weight so you can easily carry them around and work with.
d) Short Circuit Protection
Short circuit allows additional electricity to pass through your switches, appliances, and outlets. This extra electricity can be dangerous as it generates additional heat.
In the worst-case scenario, it can lead to a fire outbreak in the affected wires and may even reach the flammable parts of your home.
Therefore, when buying an ESR meter, check and ensure it has short circuit protection to avoid accidents and to feel safer.
e) Availability of Data Table
Data tables display relevant information in a grid. They are arranged in a pattern that makes it very easy for users to scan for useful information and components such as chips, buttons, or Menus.
These tables are essential as they help the individual understand and use the meter more effectively. Check the front or rear side of the meter to see if it has a data table. Having a data table can be extremely helpful during usage.
f) Auto Power Off
This feature makes the screen go off if the meter is not used for sometime, usually a few seconds. When the device is left idle, after a while, it goes off on its own until you wake it back up.
This may seem like a useless feature, but it has great importance. It helps extend the meter’s battery life considerably, making it serve you much longer. So it is definitely a plus if your desired meter has this beautiful feature.
g) Mode & Function
A good ESR meter is expected to come with at least the power button to turn the device on and off, a zero button to reset the device quickly, and a mode button to access the device’s menu.
The meter can also have more buttons, but it shouldn’t have too much to avoid becoming too complex to understand and operate.
Before buying, you should check and make sure the ESR meter has enough mode and function. Ensure it has all the essential functions you will need to work effectively.
As time goes on, everything gradually decreases in quality, capacitors inclusive. Therefore, ESR meters are clearly handy pieces of equipment to have around. With an ESR meter, you can test your store of capacitors to fish out the ones which may have lost value.
You should always have it in mind that most of the capacitors you have kept for future use gradually becomes useless over time. An increase in ESR causes many things, including power loss and heating.
Even high capacitance such as tantalum and aluminum electrolytic can decrease and lose value, while the ESR increases with time. This is normally caused by the capacitor being subjected to electrical stress or increased temperature, and even when it’s not being used or connected.
The ESR meter is one handy gadget to have around your workbench as we’re all fond of keeping old capacitors for future use. When it’s time for the capacitors to be used, you cannot tell how much it has deteriorated, and you do not want to work with a bad one. So why don’t you go ahead and get yourself an ESR meter today and get to your accurate ESR testing.