Working as an electrician means an excellent opportunity to come into contact with numerous working tools. Depending on the type of project you are working on. From challenging and complex construction sites, the best circuit tracers will not miss in your working tools. There is a big review difference between the best circuit tracers and other Pro Tools.
With other circuit tools in the market, one needs to use a wide range of the products and know which one works best. For electricians, the best circuit breaker finders and tracers are must-have tools. Whether working on a residential site or a commercial site. These circuit identifier tools are convenient when a home needs rewiring during the renovation.
Top 5 Best Circuit Tracers: Editor Recommended
You will have to identify the circuit breaker finders in case of interior wall removal. However, it is always where you left it—understanding your wiring process and where the circuit breaker is in the panel. Will ease the hassle of finding it.
Product Guide on The Best Wiring Products
These circuit identifiers tools are widely found in the market. The trick is how to find the best circuit tracers. It might look like an easy task, but in reality, it is as hard as finding the best dress to wear on your favorite day. With the many hide and seek in the market. You have to know the right model, consider customer reviews, and following buying guides to find the best.
To know the best electrical circuit tracers in the market, they should be convenient in identifying trace wires, fuses, and breakers at the back walls. Accurately pinpoint unparalleled shorts and open. A flawed model will not do much except giving you numerous headaches. Its sensitivity and voltage range will be useless.
Another simple thing but important about circuit tracers is their weight. The best circuit tracer will be lightweight enhancing portability.
The 15 Best Circuit Tracers Reviews:
Getting the best wire tracer tools from the market is not easy. With guides and reviews, it becomes easy to select your products. Here are lists of Best circuit breaker finder and Best electrical circuit tracers.
1. Ideal Industries Digital Circuit Breaker Finder
- QUICK AND EASY CIRCUIT IDENTIFICATION: No more guessing when locating the correct circuit breaker supplying power to AC outlet or lighting fixture. Positively identifies circuit breakers and fuses without service interruption.
- AUTOMATIC CIRCUIT IDENTIFIER: Proper wiring is crucial to ensure safety and performance of branch circuits. From a safety perspective, shock hazards and fires are mainly due to poor installation or failure of protective devices, such as GFCIs.
- RECEIVER AUTO POWER OFF: Receiver automatically shuts down if not used for 10min. Low battery detection ensures device is always charged and ready to use. If the battery voltage is below 7.3 volts, receiver beeps 3 times and turns off.
- IDEAL QUALITY: Family-owned, professionally run company with a long history of building relationships, providing top customer service and setting industry standards. We’ve been committed to the craft and its craftsmen for over 100 years.
- PRODUCT DETAILS: Digital Receiver & GFCI Circuit Tester. Non-contact voltage sensor from 80-300VAC automatically and quickly finds correct breaker. Transmitter works on 120VAC circuits. Tests GFCIs. Verifies wiring configuration.
This circuit tracer is overall the best. It has a high voltage range of 120 to 240 volts. A well-built quality model best electrical circuit tracer. It has automatic operation features convenient for first-time electricians. It is best at finding the right circuit breaker and detecting if it is powered or not.
In addition to all the features, the ideal circuit tracer comes with a voltage tester, which is non-contact. Helpful to beginner electricians with less equipment for their work. It has a resilient outer cover appropriate for safety. In case you drop it during when working.
Ideal circuit tracer has well-built features, thus one of the best durable wiring products. With the product, you don’t have to worry about it failing you. It comes with a two-year warranty, which is a guarantee of your money not going to waste.
It is slightly expensive. Besides that, its excellent features make it the best choice. Not forgetting it is a mid-range product without hypersensitivity. Making it a useful circuit tracer.
- Two-year warranty
- Well-built and durable.
- It has a GFCI source tester.
- High voltage range of 120 to 240 volts
- Non-contact voltage tester.
- It has well-built features
- Comes with a two-year warranty
- A mid-range product
- Resilient outer cover to protect it from damages
- Extremely expensive
2. Klein Tools ET300 Circuit Breaker Finder
- Circuit Breaker Finder can find the corresponding circuit breaker of any 120V standard electrical outlet quickly, accurately, and automatically
- Flashing arrow indicator for easy identification
- Strong transmitter reaches distances up to 1000 feet
- 90 to 120V operation
- Microprocessor controlled for more reliable identification
The best electrical circuit tracer has a protective rubber cover. It is placed on the receiver to provide protection and hinder unnecessary switching on. It is a less expensive model, and in comparison with Amprobe Bt-120, its features are well built.
- Protective rubber cover
- Well-built features
- Readily available circuit breaker finder
- Has no-frills
- Rubber protective slipcover
- No frills circuit breaker finder
- Less expensive
- Great and quality built
- Reasonable accuracy.
- Turns on accidentally
3. VersativTech Circuit Breaker Finder
- ADVANCED 3-IN-1 MULTI TOOL; ALWAYS BE PREPARED w LED flashlight, GFCI circuit tester & Circuit Breaker Locator with 80 Breaker Box Labels included for the best value.
- IDENTIFY WIRING FAULTS FAST; Save time with the GFCI circuit tester to identify the 5 common electrical outlet wiring faults quickly with Weather-Resistant breaker panel labels.
- NEWEST 2022 MODEL INCLUDES; BONUS 80 Breaker Panel Labels, 9v battery and carrying case with our Circuit Breaker Finder receiver, GFCI circuit tester transmitter & Flashlight Multitool to keep everything organized together.
- BONUS 80 Weather-Resistant Breaker Panel Labels & Carry Case INCLUDED. Weather-resistant, tear-proof writable vinyl stickers / electrical breaker box labels are included to help mark each fuse. Long lasting labels suitable for indoor / outdoor uses i.e. door panels, fuse boxes, electrical panels, circuit breaker boxes and more.
- RISK FREE; 100% Satisfaction Assurance. We only partner with quality manufactures to bring great products at an amazing value and provide a 1 year manufacturer warranty on this Circuit Breaker Finder
It comes with an integrated handy socket tester and Led Light. Efficiently activated through pressing the momentary switch at the bottom power button of the receiver. It has a low built-in battery. Appropriate in letting you know when it is time for a change.
The company humorously created the breaker finder. VersativTech has a sad and smiley face to indicate the right circuit breaker. The tool is portable and light when held but needs proper and forcefully handling on the panel’s electrical front. This is appropriate when not taking a lot of work.
- Portable and lightweight
- Handy LED light
- Integrated socket tester
- Low built-in battery indicator
- Smiley and sad face indicator
- Comfortable when held in the hand
- Easy to activate the breaker finder
- Performs work effectively
- The receiver has a nice rubber coating
- Inappropriate to use on taller panel boxes because of its full readout.
4. Extech – 1218G94EA CB10 Circuit Breaker Finder
- Quickly locate 110V to 125VAC Circuit Breakers and Fuses
- Variable Sensitivity adjustment to pinpoint correct circuit breaker
- Bright Red and Green LEDs indicates if receptacle is correctly wired or six fault conditions
- Simply plug the GFCI Transmitter into an outlet and trace for the correct breaker at the electrical box
- Audible and visual circuit breaker indication
It is not good looking, but it works as one of the best circuit breaker detectors. Comes with a screwdriver for battery changing. This is a feature that the other models lack. It is easy to identify breakers with the tool.
There is also Light at the fine tip of the tool. That flashes when it identifies the correct circuit. The receiver again beeps on finding the proper circuit. It is one of the several models that have a GFCI transmitter tester.
- Transmitter has a GFCI tester
- Comes with a screwdriver
- Variable sensitivity adjustments
- High sensitivity dial
- Handy and portable
- GFCI transmitter tester
- Easy to use
- Accessible to read-even in dim-lit rooms
- Flexible positioning and holding
- Expensive than the other related pro tools.
5. Ideal SureTrace Circuit Tracer
It is one of the best breaker finders to detect live wire. It traces wires effectively on drywalls. But not wires on a thick wall made of lathe or plastic. The circuit breaker detector has a high-end receiver with a well-ordered OLED screen, which is always rotating for the display to face upwards.
It comes handy with fixtures necessary for tracing open and live circuits behind walls. Ideal SureTrace has a CertainCircuit Detection System. A convenient but straightforward system for detecting whether a tested circuit has been de-wired at the breaker. This system is appropriate and spares you the hassle of going inside the panel to confirm if the right breaker was deactivated.
- CertainCircuit Detection System
- High-end receiver
- Auto-rotate OLED display screen
- High sensitivity Adjustments
- Easy to operate
- Great accuracy
- Effective breaker deactivation feature
- Versatile tool
- Misleading fluorescent lighting
- Extremely expensive compared to other similar tools
6. Sperry Instruments CS61200 Breaker Finder
- Quickly and easily: identifies correct circuit breaker or fuse protecting a specific electrical circuit
- Audible and visual LED alert: designed for operation at 120V AC and 60Hz
- Smart meter technology: patented technology eliminates the need for adjustment dials
A more likable best circuit breaker finder to many. From its magnetic base to its two compact body design. It has a double transmitter GFCI tester. It is not as expensive as the last two tested breaker finds with a GFCI tester.
It has ten visual LED alerts that light up when detecting the signal strength—not forgetting its audible beeps when the tool has found the right breaker. There is also a tad touchy wand on the finder. This does not hinder its flexibility on the breaker and customization of its sensitivity.
- The receiver has a magnetic base
- Double GFCI tester
- Ten LED visual alert
- Portable and compact
- Inexpensive breaker finder
- Customize sensitivity
- Inappropriate release of audible cues when handling adjacent breakers
7. Zircon Breaker ID Pro 300 – Complete Circuit Breaker Finding Kit
- CAT III Certified
- The Zircon breaker ID Pro 300 is a circuit breaker finding kit that can be used in residential, commercial, and industrial environments identifying electrical circuits up to 300 volts.
- Zircon’s patented technology helps eliminate false positives, save wasted time in trial and error methods, and avoid accidental shutoffs.
- The Breaker ID Pro 300 allows just one person to identify, label, repair, and replace electrical outlets.
- This circuit identifier calibrates automatically, and uses lights and audio to indicate when the circuit is found.
The breaker locator is built in a slanting design. To keep you perpendicularly entirely off the electrical panel. Allows battery changes of tool-less 9V. Considering its features, Zircon is pretty with a foam-lined case with 120V lightings and 220/230 lines. That holds all the adapters and connectors appropriate for finding the breakers.
It has a 12-inch long universal transmitter fitted into a pair of clamps or single pole AC. Its receiver is not fancy but gives out consistent, accurate tests.
- 120V lightings
- Foam-lined case with 220/230 lines
- Slanting body design
- 12-inch universal transmitter
- Consistent, accurate results
- Pretty case
- Well-featured kit
- Easy tool-less battery change
- Extremely expensive
8. Extech TG20 Wire Tracer and Tone Generator
- Identify wire pairs, check continuity & test telephone line polarity
- 20 degree C to 550 degree C ( 4 degree f to 1022 degree f) in two ranges
- Adjustable sensitivity control improves wire identification and eliminates false detection
- Easily trace wires from source to termination
An affordable circuit locator in the list of best circuit tracers with specialized features. One of its favorite features is the RJ11 phone connector transmitter and alligator clips, which makes TG20 versatile and gives you easy access to your phone.
The circuit tracer has an adjustable sensitivity feature for easy identification of the right wire. It has a non-contact probe making Extech a safer and appropriate tracer to identify troubling cables and not forgetting LED illumination when performing tests with a resistance of lower than 10,000 Ohms.
Supports a maximum voltage of 24V with no auto shut down. Making it inappropriate for operating professional applications.
- LED illumination Feature
- RJ11 phone connector
- Adjustable sensitivity feature
- Non-contact probe
- Continuous tests
- No auto shut-down feature
- Supports a low maximum voltage
9. PTE Wire Tracer
- FIND WIRES QUICKLY AND ACCURATELY - Detect wires in a range of applications including buried wires, single strand, broken wires, etc. Not meant for live electrical wires. Suitable for Electrical wires, Landlines, Coaxial cables, Automotive cables etc...
- "TRACE THROUGH OBSTACLES - Thanks to the Tone signal, you can track your cable through ceilings, under floors, inside walls, etc quickly without taking the risk of not knowing exactly where your wires are located (Use only one alligator clip in Tone Mode) "
- DETECTS SHORT/OPEN CIRCUIT/ TELEPHONE LINE - Thanks to the CONT mode, you can check for short and open circuits, and the RJ11 connector lets you test telephone systems easily (Use both Alligator clips in Continued Mode)
- ADJUSTABLE SENSITIVITY - The variable sensitivity dial allows you to identify a single wire when multiple wires are routed in close proximity, ensuring precision and safety while avoiding false detection
- NO RISK - One-year warranty and friendly customer service from seller TrueToSource!
A circuit breaker detector from PTE which is affordable and straightforward to use. It features a maximum of 24V AC voltage and 42V DC voltage. It has an RJ11 phone connector transmitter with two alligator clips. PTE has a maximum signal range of 330 feet, and it is not appropriate for use with live wires.
Considering its flexibility and excellent price, it is the best circuit tracers for home adoption. It has easy to handle features for testing circuits and wire tracing. Its adjustments are significant for easy finding off troubling wires and circuits.
Its built-in features make it a valuable tool for home-usage than professional use. It is significant for tracing infrequent wires around the house than working on a rougher environment.
- 24V AC voltage
- RJ11 phone connector
- 330 feet maximum signal range
- 42V DC voltage
- Flexible and easy to use
- Easy adjustment
- Appropriate for tracing infrequent wires
- Adjustable sensitivity
- Sensible price
- Durability is a letdown
- The battery is an exclusion
10. Southwire Circuit Breaker
- The transmitter sends locator signal through outlet wiring
- For use on 120 volt energized circuits. UL Listed
- Receiver picks up signal to pinpoint correct breaker
- Advanced design pinpoints single breaker to prevent service interruption
- Transmitter also tests gfci protected outlets
This is the best electrical circuit tracer for users who consider something cheap and simple. The receiver has a green LED that signals when you find the right breaker and Light on the transmitter to show you a live outlet. The transmitter works on a GFCI outlet appropriate for wire tracers.
Southwire breaker is relatively cheaper with unique sensitivity features. this makes your work with it easier. Suppose you are looking for a circuit tracer tool for professional use-skip it. It lacks durability with a lower voltage range as compared to its competitive products.
- GFCI transmitter outlet
- Green LED signals
- Works on a 120V outlet
- Sensitivity features
- Appropriate for residential use
- Effective indicator lights
- Easy to use
- Not durable for professional use.
- Works on a low maximum voltage range of 240V
11. Amprobe BT-120 Circuit Breaker Tracers
- Identifies circuit breakers on energized 120V electrical systems
- Receiver always finds the right breaker - automatic sensitivity adjustment removes ambiguity from the search by indicating the correct breaker with light and sound
- The red LED indicator on the transmitter verifies that the receptacle is energized before receptacle or wiring maintenance
- Compatible with standard 90 to 120V AC 50/60Hz breaker system
- UL listed and complies with European Standard EN61010-1: 2001, Category II 120V
A mid-range circuit breaker locator is effective for tracing energized wires. Features a wide voltage range than its competitors. It is working at a voltage range of nine volts to 300 volts. It requires no power interruption making your job convenient, quick, and easy.
Amprobe tracers have LEDs installed with noise fillers for easy circuit tracing. Its effective and robust built features make it an appropriate tracer for industrial use as it works without interfering with the surrounding devices.
It comes with a package case for tracer protection and easy transportations. The tracer handles a voltage of up to 220Volts.
- Handles a wide voltage range
- Installed LEDs for easy tracing
- Noise filters
- Heavy-duty design
- Package case for easy transportations and storage
- Robust built features
- Easy and convenient to use
- Interferes with no surrounding devices
- Specialized for industrial use
- Expensive than other similar products
12. Greenlee Circuit tracers, 0-750, Enrgzd/UnEnrgzd
- Leading manufacturer of high-quality tools
- Trusted and used by experts, professionals and those who know quality
- Proven and Tested for durabilty and function in real world job site conditions
- Seven US Based Manufacturing Facilities
- United States Workforce
Greenlee is one of the best circuit tracers for the money. It is a professional high-grade pro tool that surpasses its competitors. It features both distinct and graphic tones to trace a circuit. For easy working with the tool, let it under auto mode. But it can also work on manual control.
It has a transmitter that works from a distance of four miles. It is also compatible for easy storage in the toolbox. It is equipped with a backlight that dims automatically to preserve its battery life. This is an appropriate tool that gives your money a lifetime warranty. You will not have to buy another circuit tracer in the future.
The transmitter-receiver and battery last up to six hours. Making the tracer a reasonable consideration with its intensified display and sensitivity.
The only downside of the circuit tracer is its higher purchasing price. It is expensive than its competitors. But it has high accuracy and voltage level. Its features make it a worthwhile investment.
- Superior four-mile range
- AC and DC of up to 750 Volts
- Greater functionality and sensitivity
- High-grade colored graphic LCD.
- Best for tracing open and live circuits, junction boxes, and cloaked wires
- Battery lifespan of up to six hours
- Intensified sensitivity and display
- Automatically and manually controlled.
- Extremely expensive- recommendable for professional electricians.
13. Triplett Fox & Hound Premium Electrical Circuit Tracers
A probe wire tracer that uses True Trace Technology to detect live wires. Appropriate for use at home and professional environment. It operates on a voltage range of AC 250 Volts and DC 250Volts. It uses different frequencies, thus being a superior unit performer- its tones are clear to identify when it traces the right circuit.
Triplett traces wires up to 1000 feet long and three feet deep. We are not excluding the well-built noise filter to enhance noise audibility. There are also strong visual indicators with adjustable sensitivity for easy wire tracing from a specific circuit breaker through a thick wall.
The wire tracer has robust filters to eliminate electrical noise and fluorescent lights when wire tracing and hinder destruction from destructive neighbors or staff.
- Well-built noise filler
- Discreet tracing with earphone jack
- Wire tracing of length 1000 feet and 3feet deep
- TrueTracing Technology for live wire tracing.
- Weighs 0.16 Ounces
- Product from Tripplet
- Adjustable sensitivity
- Robust filters for the destruction of electrical noises
- Superior unit performer
- Wide range voltage operator
- Extremely expensive than related models
14. KZYEE KM10 Auto Circuit Tester, Power Circuit Probe Kit
- KZYEE KM10 Power Scan Kit is the most revolutionary circuit tester to reduce the diagnosis time in all electrical systems of 12-24V vehicles. It can perfectly perform any kind of service, such as continuity test, diagnose circuit faults, check good and bad ground without losing fuses, activate components on and off the vehicle, detect minimum/maximum voltage, etc.
- Unlike other circuit testers that only have a few basic functions and require you to use various tools to troubleshoot electrical system problems, our Power Scan Kit performs a series of services in depth and speeds up diagnosis for you. The voltage resolution is 0.1V, KM10 allows accurate diagnosis of DC Voltage, AC Voltage, Resistance and Diode of 12v-24v electrical systems by simply pressing the mode button.
- With the ability to power components such as radiator fans, starter motors, relays, window regulators, windshield wipers, etc. In addition, it can perform continuity checks and resistance checks, the two most important parameters to track the path of the automotive circuit and know which parts of the circuit are complete and which are broken. Powered by the car battery or cigarette lighter, no extra battery or cable required.
- The 20 foot extension cord will get you anywhere in your vehicles, trucks and trailers (12V-24V), allows you to test along the entire length of the vehicle without constantly searching for suitable vehicle grounds. Plus, the built-in flashlight is bright enough to illuminate your work area.
- In addition, the KM10 provides more safety for the user because it is protected by a circuit breaker. This is a safe measure to protect the device and your components from overload and make the product longer and more durable. We also offer a protective case to store these product parts and make transportation easier.
A revolutionary circuit locator for performing several automotive tests. It does polarity check, power measurement, and injection and ground testing. If you want to settle for a multipurpose tracer, Kzyee wire tracer is the perfect product.
Accurately detects AC and DC electrical system voltages ranging from 12Volts up to 24Volts, a great product to use in your automotive to know how to power cooling fans and starters. The circuit locator needs no battery after powering it with a car battery.
Its kit consists of an extension cable, which is 20 feet long. A good impression that you can reach your truck or car comfortably. It has a built-in flashlight bright enough to light your operational area. The automotive wire tracer is effective in detecting short loosen fuses and bad grounding.
- Extension cable of 20 feet
- Recharged by a car battery
- Built-in flashlight
- Weighs 3Lbs
- Versatile circuit tracer
- Detects AC and DC voltages
- Revolutionary circuit tracer
- Multipurpose breaker finder
- Easy to operate
- Detects a wide range of voltage
- Not effective for use at home
15. Kolsol Underground Wire Locator Cable Tester F02
- 📏【Time and Money Saver】Helpful-Locating & tracking buried and hidden wires.No more calls,no more cost, find and fix it by yourself.
- 📏【How to Use】Easily Locate Pet Fence Wires, Metal Wires, Metal Pipes, Electrical Wires, ect ( only for single-strand wire, or double-strand wire in parallel, not for multistrand wire!!!)
- 📏【Where You Can Locate】Locate-Determining Which Receptacles are on specific circuits,track-Pinpointing Drill Sites before drilling.
- 📏【Range of Parameters】Wire tracer range-Up to 2-3 feet deep and 1000 feet in length.
- 📏【Earphone & Tips】Get a free Earphone with package. Tips: Do not use on live circuits to avoid damaging the Tester!This device is mainly to locate non-energized Cable, or low-voltage situation less than 24V.
Best circuit tracer for the money. It has the capability of tracing underground buried wires. However, it is appropriate for tracing single or double parallel wire strands. The Wire tracer tool is a multipurpose tracer for locating electrical wires, pet wire fences, and metal pipes. Traces wires 3 feet deep and 100feet long.
It is also great at detecting specific circuit breakers behind walls or underground. When trying to renovate your walls, this is the right tool to consider to trace electrical wires in the walls.
- Detects wires three feet deep and 100 feet long
- Multipurpose circuit tracer
- Traces metal wires, pet wire fences, and metal pipes
- Locates underground and hidden wires
- Weighs 14.1 Ounces
- Best money tracer
- Effective for tracing underground and hidden wires
- Effective for pinpointing wall wires
- Not ideal for above the ground use
- Expensive than similar products
Buying guide: What to Consider When Select Circuit Tracers
When looking for the best circuit tracers and break finders, certain factors must be considered before purchasing any tracer model. Getting the best breaker is a game of trial and error. Thorough research is necessary to get what you want from the market as there is a wider range of models to choose from.
Having done your research on different tracer models, here are some guides to follow when buying a tracer or a circuit breaker locator.
As you go out to the market to purchase a locator, have a set budget. There are cheaper models out there and extremely expensive models. The prices vary from $30, leading up to $1500 or even more. Setting a budget will make it easy to get the right tracer for your office or home.
Another important factor to consider when buying a circuit locator is its purpose. Why you need the tracer? Is it for home use or professional usage? There are a big difference in-home use tracer and professional tracers. For home purposes, a simple and cheaper model will be appropriate.
For professional use, opt for an expensive electrical circuit tracer. Thy is detailed, quality, and robust to handle harsh environments. They are also adjustable, depending on their working surrounding.
Choosing tracers with the best features goes without saying. You should opt for high-quality tools regardless of the place of use. You will not want a detector in your house that is not durable or of low quality. For a useful tracer, purchase the one that can detect open and live circuits, check to wire, and trace circuits behind the walls.
Another important factor to consider when buying a pro tool. Buy a tracer that has a good range. It is capable of detecting circuits from distant depth and length. A good circuit breaker detector should detect circuits 100 feet long and 3 feet deep.
Choosing the best circuit tracers is not an easy task. Following the reviews and guides above, it will help you find the best model to purchase. Depending on your budget, it becomes easy to know which circuit locator to opt for. You should also know what a tracer kit comprises, like the transmitter, probe, and receiver.
Another factor when opting for a circuit tracer is its compatible and portable feature. You need the tracer to make your wire and breaker finding effective. Not add another load of work in finding where to store it and how to handle it when at work.
Advanced features should also be one key to consider. There is a wide range of circuit tracers with advanced features but first, know why you need the tracer before purchasing it. A circuit tracer should make your detection process easier, and the money you spend to purchase it should be worth the investment.